Sunday, September 4, 2011

reponse to texting

I read the article entitled, “Email has become the new snail mail” as
younger set goes with text messaging”, I do agree with emails becoming
snail mail.  E-mails can be time consuming (I have over 300 unread in
my Gmail account!).  At work, I am constantly receiving emails and 50
percent is junk mail from employees.  I have heard of employers using
instant messaging!   I am not sure about instant messaging at work.  I
can imagine trying to meet a deadline and messages keep coming in.  We
are a technology driven society moving at a fast pace. Technology is
convenient and dangerous.  People are getting fired, stalked, and
their privacy invaded.  We all have to find a balance.  There is too
much emailing and texting.
 When it comes to texting, it is reasonable at times and I stress at
times...  People use it as a means of disengaging in a personable
conversation, which is a copout. The younger generations are texting
instead of verbally conversing.  My son will tell his friends to text
him when they call?!!
What do you think about texting?  Do you use it has an avoidance?  Do
you find your children texting instead of talking on the phone?

8 comments:

  1. The dangers of technology are very dangerous because today you have things such as Facebook, MySpace,twitter and other social media type sites. The balance of all of these things should be found. Parents especially should monitor and what their kids put online because of the dangers. I think that texting is convenient at times when I just want to connect to someone or see how they are doing. However I feel as though some things are better said thru a phone conversation. Texting is also harmful because younger kids find themselves using text slang when their doing homework and class work. For example tewh for too, talkiin for talking, muh for my; these are just a few that I’ve seen my little cousins use. Also while observing my little cousins previously I see that they don’t even know how to actually have a proper telephone conversation with another person. I think that technology especially texting makes it easier for someone to type a message than dial seven numbers and actually talk to someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a texter; not a serial texter but a texter nonetheless. Texting avoids unnecessary dialog: ask a question, get an answer and no chit chatting! I still think email, along with the internet, is one of the greatest inventions of the last 100 years. Like everything else in life its prone to abuse and unsavory behavior. IM, I hate. How presumptuous to think that whatever the sender wants is more important than whatever the receiver is doing. I never respond to IMs; if its that urgent, call me but don't leave a message because I don't check them regularly! Email me or text me.

    I read recently that some municipalities are allowing residents to text 911 for emergencies. What's easier, dialing three numbers or texting the need and the address? I don't get this one and I don't think it will go to top of the list of innovations either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Using texting has its advantages. As more children are using this type of communication I think it needs to evaluated. Evaluated in the sense of what it does to relationships. Texting can allow people to hide...good or bad. People can say things through texting that maybe they should say in person. The same goes for email. The dangers of social networking aren't encouraging either. People put all of their business out there including where they are and when they are coming back. We as teachers or potential teachers and parents must educate out children as we move towards this world that allows the good and the bad to hide.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I read this post I was literally Lol. I think texting is the gift and the curse. I like the thought of being able to ask a quick question, make a comment or suggestion while its on my mind, or let my spouse know I'm thinking of him without disrupting my day or his. Texting is convenient and when done in moderation goes unnoticed by others. However what I'm noticing is that people have become unable to communicate in person or write in complete sentences. What really irritates me is when one of my clients come in for an interview and in the middle of the interview...Wait for it......you guessed it they are texting in spite of the agency's no cell phone policy. As for IM, its okay from time to time, but then I have the same dilemma...Do I answer while I’m with a client? I got an IM today and asked my coworker to give me a sec to look for a case. I didn’t answer in 1 minute and she pinged me again. It’s a lot of pressure. Email is okay if its not urgent. Its never been my preferred method of communication. Like you guys I have a mail box full of vacation ads, Viagra offers, and a plethora of banks wanting to refinance my home. Technology is pivotal in staying in the know but one must decide how much is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You raise some interesting points and I agree to some extent that our younger generations are losing some basic communication skills. One thing that bugs me about texting is that it is difficult for some people to transfer from one environment to the next. I asked someone to write a letter of recommendation once and you would be surprised at the spelling of certain words found in the letter. When I pointed the mistake out to the individual they thought it was funny because they were so use to texting and not spelling complete words. Well, I didn't find it funny at all. In fact, I will not ask that person to ever provide anything in writing on my behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have found that the younger generation use a different type of language. I guess its text language, but I've noticed that some youth are starting to write like they text. This cannot be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with your statement in regards to texting being a very inpersonal way of communicating. I think that this will become a big problem later when our children don't know how to communicate face to face and verbally. No matter where technology takes us we will always have to interact face to face and verbally with one another. If that is not apart of our children's lives growing up, that personable skill will not have time to develop. Just like anything communicating with people is a skill you learn. Without the proper example and repeated examples, nontechnological communication will be a skil few have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally diagree with you. I think that instant messaging and text messenging is great way to contact each other because you can do it from anywhere or anyplace. With most phone comapanies its actually cheaper to text than to talk. Email is mostly for professional use only now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete